The power of a positive mindset can change your life for the better. A positive mindset means an optimistic outlook on life, more positive thought patterns, and an overall attitude of happiness and seeing the bright side. This is important because the way we think greatly impacts what we get in life.
People often lose sight of how much their thoughts and beliefs affect outcomes. There is an idea about a self-fulfilling prophecy, where you predict something and it comes true. This happens because our mindset and expectations motivate our actions. Actions are what lead to results, which then impact how we now feel. Therefore, having a positive mindset will lead to more positive outcomes. In turn, it makes it easier to maintain a positive mindset and for the cycle continue.
BENEFITS OF A POSITIVE MINDSET
- Increased success
- Increased happiness
- Better self-esteem
- More ease in managing negativity
- Reduced stress
- Overall better health, physically and mentally
HOW TO HAVE A POSITIVE MINDSET
- For every negative thought, match it with a positive. This helps the negativity not take over and reinforces an overall positive mindset. For example, you might be having a bad day and thinking about what has been going wrong. Every time you have a thought relating to that, think of something positive in your life. There is always something good to be found, you just have to allow yourself to see it.
- Question the negative. So many times we take what we think at face value. It is common to have a tendency to see things in a bad light, when objectively that is not even true. When you find yourself having a negative or pessimistic thought, challenge it and try and flip the script to a more positive mindset. For example, if you get a B on a test, many people are hard on themselves and think of that as “not good enough,” bringing a lot of negativity into their mental state. Challenging the thought to see that it is a good grade helps find more inner peace and tranquility that is beneficial to overall mental health.
- Dream big. If you don’t think something is possible, you won’t try, and then it definitely won’t happen. When you can have a positive mindset, it allows you to try for whatever it is you want and reach for the stars. That greatly increases the likelihood that you will get it. Statistically, this means you will have more success overall in life. Not only does this create a better state of mental health, it makes it easier to manage and keep trying when things don’t go the way you planned.
- Remember life has ups and downs and the bad is not permanent. It can be hard to be outside the moment when things are hard and stressful. It is then easy to lose sight of the fact that this is a passing moment and good things will follow. Therefore, it is important to remember that when things don’t feel like they are going so well, it will get better. Focus on the light at the end of the tunnel, even if you can’t quite see it yet, and remember that it’s there.
- Notice judgements. When you label things as good or bad or with any synonymous terms, that many not objectively be the case. Many times the judgement that something is “bad” has such a huge impact on your mood and inhibits your ability to have a positive mindset. Think back to the example with a grade on a test. When you notice that you are labeling something in such a way, you have more control in flipping it and utilizing the above steps.
It can take time to shift your mindset. Start with one of the above tips and make the commitment to try and do it. Once that becomes more habitual, move onto another tip. Slowly, you will start to shift to a more positive mindset, leading to more happiness.